Overcoming 4 common digital preservation challenges with Preservica Starter
Covering multiple roles as a lone arranger
Gaining buy-in from IT and Risk Management
Managing files across different platforms
Building a digital archive within budget
How was Abra Schnur, University Archivist at a small university archive in Texas, able to use Preservica Starter to make the case for digital preservation at her institution?
Abra faced multiple daily challenges, including juggling multiple roles at once, struggling to get buy-in from IT and Risk Management, managing content across multiple disparate platforms and creating a unified digital archive with a limited budget. With Preservica Starter, Abra was able to successfully make the case for digital preservation, here are her top tips:
Don't be afraid to test with your own content
- Try uploading digitized publications you may have stored elsewhere
- Consider alternative campus records - such as faculty or staff handbooks
- Remember to also test alternative formats, like email and video
Review your spending to make savings
- Understand where high spending could be cut using a single platform instead
- Investigate the costs of any existing solutions long-term
- Research the market and options available to you that fulfil all of your needs
Be aware of stakeholders and their needs
- Understand the concerns of other departments - particularly IT and Risk Management
- Find out how your preferred solution can resolve the challenges faced by other stakeholders
- Keep your stakeholders involved as you are building the case for digital preservation
Timeline – moving towards Starter and making the case
Share your story with us!
Have a success story to share? Contact us with your pitch, and we may feature your story on the website.